Saturday, September 11, 2010

And the Destination of your Two Year Stay IS......

As of several days ago, I am now officially the PC trainee selected to inhabit the small village of Paymar Hamady. And my small village I mean about the size of Meadow Grove. haha. My village is in the Kaolack region of Senegal which is about central and is located just north of the Gambia. Guess where I'm heading on vacation? Kaolack is supposably home to more small wildlife than other regions. Pumbaa and Timon anyone? It's also known as the Peanut Basin. My village is a new site for Peace Corps so the townsfolk are constructing me a brand new hut for me to spend my next 2 years. The village has about 200 people with an overwhelming majority (all of them) speaking Pulaar du Nord. This comes in handy because, well, that's the language I'm learning.

P.S. Ramadan is over. Woohoo. No more fasting (for those who actually fasted, me not included). Korite was quite the event. Full of splendor and the spreading of kaalis (money) and good cheer. So basically, everyone gets all gussied up in their bestest Senegalese outfits and parades around eating good food. About like thanksgiving. And in the evening, the children go from house to house where they are given money. Kinda like Halloween only its small change instead of candy. The food was great. I love me some chicken, potatoes, and beef smothered in onion sauce and eaten with bread. A little too much caffeine was consumed though between the tea and the Coke and Fanta and such I was offered. Apparently that should be the all-nighter special. I will have to remember that if I go back to school. I gotta say though, Methloquin sure makes sleep more fun. Sleep is so much more entertaining when under the control of malaria meds.

Well thats all for now, tomorrow we are off to visit the regions where we will be spending the bulk of our two years and getting to know the volunteers near us hopefully. Catch ya on the flip flop.

1 comment:

  1. I can just see it now...you will find a "Timon and Pumba" and all start singing Hakuna Matata. Please video tape when that happens :)

    ReplyDelete