Friday, August 13, 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Well first of all, I survived carrying my luggage. I was more worried about that than being eaten by a lion. Our group also finished all the paper work designating us as Peace Corps Trainees. There are 64 of us. The 8 1/2 hour flight from D.C. to Senegal wasn't as bad as I thought though somehow I was one of the few whose little movie screen only worked half the flight. Imagine that. When we got into Dakar it was immediately a different world. We were greeted by the Country Director and several of the Trainers and current PCV's. (Peace Corp Volunteers) After we all packed ourselves into little buses we rode from Dakar to Thies (chess?) which is only 30km but takes 2 hours to drive. I'm really glad I won't be driving while here because I think their system of driving consists of driving as fast as you can, ignoring the lane markings, and passing people while honking. It's a little strange when you are riding in a van with three vehicles next to each other on a two lane road. When we arrived at the training center, the guards were drumming to welcome us. Luckily we then had breakfast and napped. Since then its pretty much been orientation stuff, shots, medicine, hanging out at the Disco Hut, and trying to remember everyone's name. (Yikes) We are all greatful that the bathrooms at the Training Center are wonderful because we have running water and do not yet need to use the standard hole in the ground. Oh and for all you Nebraskans, apparently we are quite the novelty. I have already realized that other trainees have not been electrocuted by a electric fence, known the joy of Dorothy Lynch, or realize that there are schools with a graduating class of 28. We are quite the diverse group though and its neat to learn about everyone's background and experiences. Well, now for one of the few words in French I know, Au revoir!

3 comments:

  1. bon courage! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
    -Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were scared of the driving it must be bad then!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were more worried about your luggage than lions! ;-) I don't find the plane rides to be so bad either and I am excited for you to have the experience of being the novelty! ;-)

    ReplyDelete